Wednesday, November 02, 2005

The first loss of the season

Monday: Bike 7.41 miles.
Tuesday: Bike 8.45 miles. Run 4 miles.

What is it that makes us so passionate about a sports team? I can't pinpoint the moment that I became a Phoenix Suns fan, but I've been loyal since I've declared them my team. I loved Charles Barkley, Thunder Dan, and KJ. I grudgingly accepted the end of each season (without a championship) and the changes it brought. I remember when Jason Kidd came to the Suns and was mesmerized by his speed and agility. And then we traded him for Marbury. That was tough. But I bought into Marbury's ability and in a flash he was gone. My team had sunk to the lowest depths in quite some time. We were buried in the bottom of the league.

But then last season happened and it was glorious. My team became #1 in the NBA. They were fascinating to watch--a blur of amazing passes, baskets, and dunks. Yes, I know we didn't have defense, but man was it fun to watch.

Now we only have a few players left from my magical team, but I'll still cheer for them. I miss Amare's presence, JJ's shooting, and Q's 3 pointers. But just as every other season has brought new players--and the glaring absence of others--I'll grow to love another Suns team.

And you know what? The commentators can spew that losing the home opener game is not a good sign for the Suns. They were the #1 team in the NBA last year and this is a new season with an almost entirely new roster. Yeah, so we gave up a 17 point lead and lost in double overtime to the Mavericks. But in my book, we almost beat the Mavericks with a team that's still trying to find it's rhythm. And that's not a bad place for my new team to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home