Tuesday, November 08, 2005

The streak continues

Friday: bike 7.01 miles
Saturday: run 5 miles
Sunday: run 9.7 miles

On Saturday, Mike and I head to Fresh Pond for the weekly race. Fresh Pond is a free race every Saturday no matter what the weather (although if it's a blizzard the guy might decide to not time past the first loop). You can run one or two loops for 2.5 miles or 5.0 miles. The top five men and women for each respective distance is listed in the sports section of the Sunday Boston Globe.

We arrive seconds before the race starts and there's quite a crowd. Our friends, Mitch and Betsy, are already there. I warn them I'm not in the mood to run fast, so they'll have to wait for me. If it's a good day, I figure to run about a 9:30 pace. Mike runs the first loop with me and I hear my split of 22:10. That's just under a 9 minute mile and it felt okay. Maybe I'll try to run a negative split. Second loop feels great; I'm just a tad bit tired with 0.5 miles left. Final time 38:21. My second loop is 56 seconds faster than the first. Woohoo!

I'm very pleased. First loop I averaged an 8:50 pace and the second loop I ran 8:30's. It's been a long time since I've run a sub-9 minute mile. Now if I could just sneak in a little speedwork.

And I forgot to mention, I did make it to the paper for 2nd place in the 5 miler. My streak continues.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home