Monday, May 21, 2007

A new pace

Thursday: run 3 x hill (two up and one downhill repeat). 5.4 miles
Friday: rest
Saturday: 5 mile pace run (42:30)
Sunday: 10 miles

Weekly total: 28.4 miles

My pace run this week was all about determining what is comfortably hard. There's no better place to do that than two laps of Freshie on a rainy Saturday morning. As I started the race, I realized I was quickly being sucked into everybody's pace, but my own. I slowed down and concentrated on the rhythm of my own breathing and fell into my natural pace. After the first 2.5 mile lap, I was a little winded and tired but I had a feeling it had more to do with the lack of sleep all week long and the hill workout I ran on Thursday night. Well into the second lap, I felt more comfortable with the pace and I wanted to aim for a fairly even split. Success to me was finishing the second lap within 15 seconds of the first lap. In my mind, I had calculated a 42:30 would give us an even split. As we crossed the finish line I heard the timer yell "42:30. Nice splits!" Mission accomplished.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home